If you are having a holiday party or if your home is for sale and your agent is holding an open house here are some quick and easy tips to make those entering your home feel at home:
· Define the space. Party guests want to congregate in the space you have designed for entertaining – remove toys and exercise equipment and clutter so they can comfortably mingle. Confusion on a set confuses the audience, so make the purpose of each room clear.
· Unblock the sight lines. Actors need clear paths to maneuver, and so do home buyers and party attendees. Make it easy to walk from room to room; be sure you can see out the windows, especially if there is a view; create an open space for seeing the entire group or hearing the music.
· Highlight the focal points. For parties that will be the food table and bar area. For home buyers the focal points will be the view, the fireplace, the open floor plan, the large kitchen. Remember reds and yellows are “advancing” colors and blues and greens are “receding” colors. If you have elegant granite countertops place a bowl of red apples or peppers on top to draw attention to them (and remove all clutter). Beautiful fireplace or a dreary corner, add a yellow flowering plant!
· Noise distracts! For your parties very soft and subtle music is the perfect background noise, too loud and people can’t carry on a conversation. The same is true for selling your home, add some soft music to set the mood but not distract.
· Smells – at this time of the year there are so many wonderful smells, but be sure they aren’t overwhelming for your parties or your open house!
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Helping you find (or sell) your home is our goal.
Getting you through the process is our expertise.
Reechia & Keith Powell